Figures recently released by the Duchy Fish Quota Company showed that 2014/15 was another successful year for the company that aims to ‘Keep Cornwall Fishing’. The company exists to buy fish quota to prevent it from leaving the County. The quota is then leased annually to fishermen at affordable rates enabling them to fish sustainably and economically.
The latest set of accounts represent the 5th consecutive year of positive trading for the company.
- > 350 quota leases completed
- > 130 vessels benefitted ranging from 5m boats to 25metre boats.
- 95% of quota was leased to Cornish fishermen
- Avg net annual profits for last 5 yrs c. 10%
- Quota leased allowed £1.4m of fish to enter onshore supply chain
- 1134 jobs supported onshore and offshore in cornwall
“2014/15 was another successful year for the quota company in which we helped fishermen from across the County and in vessels of all sizes showing that we have a truly sustainable business model” said Colin Warwick, DFQC chairman.
In 2015/2016 the company continues to work with a range of eNGOs, the private and public sector to work on ambitious plans to scale up the company’s operation. Further details will be announced early in 2016.